Doing the same thing over & over never gets you anywhere. You can’t eat at Taco Bell every day for unch without noticing you might run out of notches on your belt… You can’t keep hoping a guy will suddenly love you after he’s treated you badly…You can’t go out every night and spend $20, $30, etc a night or day & expect to be able to save money…Basically you have to introduce the dreaded word CHANGE. I picked the photo above because the ladies up there in Mad Men didn’t know what to do when they got their first Xerox machine. It was a huge change & they of course were very stuck in the 50’s. You have to succumb to change because it will make your life better & easier. I’m slowing learning that wow that statement is ever so true.
In the past few weeks I’ve started Weekly goals so I don’t feel so overwhelmed with all the lil things I’ve wanted to change in my life. The big changes like a boyfriend & buying my own condo have taken a toll on me so I need to take it easy on the small ones so I don’t have that drowning feeling. I’ve made new friends & started a very flexible diet plan that I believe is working & so now what should be next? Hmmm Ah money. Saving money. I’ll take it for this week.
Weekly Goal #3: Save Money.
Yes I’ve been able to buy my own studio condo at an extremely affordable price, put 10% down with a 4% mortgage, BUT it does come with a very fine print things that I didn’t realize til way into the process. How they determine whether or not you can afford a place of your own is they look at your income. BEFORE TAXES. Pardon my French, but I think that is the most fucking stupidest thing ever. This is how people fall into debt. They didn’t account for taxes being taking out that amount & that fact that I pay my health insurance out of my check too. So my budget belt will be extremely tight. Actually that’s an understatement.
I don’t own any designer things but that’s okay. I am very happy with my lifestyle & I know one day I will own that Tiffany necklace, Michael Khor’s glasses, or those red-soled Louboutin’s but for right now I need to clip some coupons. Here are a few things I’m going to do to push off from:
1. 1. Bring lunch to work at least 3 times a week or keep my lunch spending to under $5.
2. 2. My best friend Erin can get movie tickets for $7 each. That’s hella better than $11.50. I will be calling her a lot.
3. 3. Dave N Busters has buy $10 of game play, get $10 free coupons in your info center at the mall. COOL!
4. 4. Actually going to the gym so I don’t feel I’m wasting my money.
5. 5. Using coupons for market items & if they are on sale your saving even more money!
6. 6. Enter your email address at stores. You will get coupons & notification of sales. Express, Nine West, Victoria Secret…etc…
7. 7. Home Goods & The Christmas Tree Shoppe…Way cheaper than Pier 1 or Pottery Barn. Sorry.
8. 8. Going to Happy Hour for drinks. Sometimes drinks are half-price. I like the sound of that.
9. 9. In NY you can bring plastic bottles, cans, & glass bottles to stores and get 5 cents per can. It adds up.
10. 10. Outdoor activities like going for a walk along the Hudson river pier costs nothing. I’ll take it!
What have you’ve been doing to save some money?
Tomorrow I start my cake decorating class. It was free to sign up because my mom is the teacher. Hopefully it will be a good class. I’ll make sure to take pictures & not eat all the icing! =) Til Tomorrow!