Friday, August 21, 2009

"He said there's a stom coming in."


"He said there's a stom coming in." - Gas Station attendant
"I know" [sighs] - Sarah Conor, Terminator (1984)

I took that picture from inside the back conference room at my job right before the mini storm we had today. It looks like a face. What the hell? But it's like the face of a skull. It's creepy, really creepy. I don't like thunderstorms. They scare me, even though I'm indoors. Perhaps it's because it's soo loud that I fear it somehow got me but then i catch my breath. I was okay with them for a while due to Rip Van Winkle's story I used to say the angels were bowling or something like that but then i grew up.


This got me thinking of one of my favorite authors. Kate Chopin. The name may ring a bell if you ever looked at the summer reading list in high school or happened to read one of her stories. She was so pivotal in the late 1800's and her stories were published in Vogue Magazine. My favorite short story of her is called "The Storm". When i first read it, I got chills. Its about a woman named Calixta who has a husband and a small boy who go out one day to the market, leave her home, and then the storm hits. The storm is in the shape of a man named Alcee. I still can't get over that I was reading a love scene from 1898 that was more full of passion and love and sexy as hell then any of the erotic novels of today. Calixta lets go of her life in the arms of this man she had known in the past as the storm rages on around them. I often thought that if my Mr. Big and I ever got back to some semblance of how we were it would be a storm. Well it was a storm again but only for a lil while. Maybe him and I we'll have yet another storm...some day...

"As she glanced up at him the fear in her liquid blue eyes had given place to a drowsy gleam that unconsciously betrayed a sensuous desire. He looked down into her eyes and there was nothing for him to do but to gather her lips in a kiss." -"The Storm"

It's a very short story and it's actually a sequel to another of Chopin's work. I recommend reading the story if you ever feel a lil caged. Feeling that there are walls all around you and your trying so hard to look over them or break free from them. It has passion, lust, and that sigh of I just read a story that left a lil mark on me. Her story "Desiree's Baby" is also a moving read and very shocking with her twist of words.

I found the Kate Chopin information via Kate Chopin. The short stories are also on that site.

But on a positive note, I'm trying so hard to stay positive with things, I did see a rainbow when I drove to the mall tonight. Its hard to see in the picture but it was there. It was my lil ray of sunshine of the day. I had to stop and try to take a picture. And this lil deer also showed up at my job. I swear my job isn't to impersonate Snow White with the animls too. =)


It's faint but it's there.



I'm tired. It was a long week. Too Too long. Hope everyone has a restful weekend and be careful if your on the East Coast of U.S. for the Hurricane.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails