Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I wonder if it would have worked some other way?? No really would it have worked?

So today I didn’t see CJ today but amongst our phone conversation he popped an interesting question to me:

“If our parents had fixed us up, would we still have liked each other & started date?”

Now for my newer followers a lil background on this statement is that my boyfriend’s Mom & my Father WORK together in the same company. That is NOT how we met ironically. I’ve lived in Rockland County, NY all my life where CJ has come & gone to almost all 50 states but somehow we ended up in the same bar on the same night, same time two weekends in a row. On our second meeting, I turned to see the bar door open & CJ walked in & immediately walked through the crowd to me. After about 15 minutes of chit chat he asked if he could take me to dinner. Later I found out he was thinking about me all that week & went BACK to this bar hoping to find me. (That part always makes me smile.) And the rest has been my relationship history for the past 5 months…

Well what if our parents had decided okay you have a single daughter and I have a single son near the same ages, why not fix them up? Apparently CJ’s Mom used to complain to my father for about a year about how her son didn’t have a girlfriend and that she felt bad. I don’t know why my dad never brought up the fact that I was horrifically single & in need of a good guy but regardless it is interesting me this alternate universe thought.

It would have of course be a blind date & those are always awkward & then we would have started to talk. I wouldn’t have realized he knew friends of mine (Of which I met him with), I wouldn’t have had the delight of physically being asked out on a date, we wouldn’t have that moment of OMG Our Parents work together??? WTF???” that seriously broke the ice our first date, & I wonder if he would have bought me a rose…Would the blind date conversation been enough? Would he be cool with me having to have surgery 3 days after this date & still want to chill again? Would it have worked?

I’d say 75% chance we might still be dating in this made-up scenario. The 25% is the for our meeting story. I think I would miss that lil bar story too much. Hehe. I’m glad we met how we did. Very glad. This is all like that movie, "Sliding Doors" with Gweneth Paltrow. Regardless of her getting on the train or not she still met the guy that she would be with. hmmm...

I sometimes think about stuff like this. What if I decided to go to school in Florida or what if I never got my job & never got my car? What if I didn't go back to Omailey's that night which I almost didn't? What if I choose the other guy who had asked me out that night? What if I didn't take that chance on love...I wonder if I’d be where I am today. If one thing changed would my whole life be the same? Who knows…

Do you ever wonder what if you did just one thing differently what would have happened? 
I wonder…


Follow Melanies Randomness

10 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Hey found you through fourth grade nothing, but stayed for the interesting/funny read.

I think that if my wife and I had been set up by our parents, there is no way in hell we would have made it considering her parents are psychopaths. Although, I didn't know that at the time, so I suppose there would have been a chance.

Great post on what might have been.

Kellie Collis said...

Hmmm... a lot of wondering for me now that you've mentioned it. I think it all boils down to one thing. Everything happens for a reason and it won't happen if it's not meant to be. Have a lovely day, Kellie xx

Anonymous said...

stories like this always get me wondering...

i bet if your parents had set you up you'd still be in love though :)

cute blog :)

JoaNNa said...

you think about a lot of things, which resembles me! i had this question on my mind last time, thinking about how would life have been if i went to a different highschool or if i didnt give my ex a chance. but so far im glad of most of my choices :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

I'm not going to lie, there are so many things in my life where I have asked myself...What if? I find that when that question pops into my head though, I end up creating a trail of possibilities that are, of course, no longer possible. It's better to just take things as they come, I suppose. You and CJ are happy, and that's all that matters! :)

k said...

That's such an interesting question! Glad you guys met ;)

Melissa Blake said...

oooh, not the dreaded, "what if" question. those are my two least favorite words.

Couture Carrie said...

Small world!
Love Sliding Doors!

xoxox,
CC

Susan R. Mills said...

I think if something is meant to be, it happens. I don't like playing the "what if" game. It makes me nervous for some reason.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I totally think about things like these. And I contemplate what ifs. BUT I think everything happens for a reason and if something is altered it would probably happen differently. Did that make sense? lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails