Saturday, September 26, 2009

Colonial Day


For those of you who don't know, I live in Southern New York State. I'm actually about 20 minutes outside of New York City. The city is booming & a beautiful day trip but I have alot of cool things right outside my door in Rockland County. (That's the county where Suffern is in that Sex & City episode where Aidan takes Carrie to the "Country"...Shhh don't tell HBO but it's not at all the country hehe.) In Rockland there are actually alot of historical places from the American Revolutionary War. A British spy in the War named Major John Andre actually was hung here too. This link is some info on him. Major John Andre

Well every year in the fall, the Tappan Historical Society holds what's called Colonial Day. It's at the DeWint House in Tappan. Here is the link for some info. The DeWint House It is actually one of the oldest surviving structures in Rockland and George Washington stayed there during the American Revolutionary War.

The people of the society get volunteers to teach the town how people lived in Colonial times. Some dress up & re-enact the times. I used to be a Colonial Re-enactor for this day. College & my fibroid surgery prevented me from doing it the past two years, but I used to do the demonstration in the kitchen. I used to teach kids how the colonial people made butter, preserved apples, and how they had to get bulks of salt & Sugar because of course there was no super market. I actually had a kid draw a car with a quill pen one year. lol. Gotta love the irony.

Here are some pics from today:


This is the DeWint House.


These were the Re-enactors showing us how muskets were used. I love the cars in the background. lol.



I love how the rose sneaked into my picture. lol.


All I can say is WOW!! He looks just like Ben Franklin!!!


Here the talented ladies teaching the people about the kitchens of colonial times.That's gunna be me again next year.


And this is my Mom & I enjoying the day.


The photos were taken by me today. I will try to do Colonial Day next year. It was soo much fun. I miss being in the kitchen teaching the kids. They really do enjoy it. It was hysterical seeing a colonial solider using a digital camera. hehe. I felt like I was in the movie "The Patriot". I dunno how colonial ladies didn't have sneakers tho. Omg their feet must have drove them nuts!! lol. Hope u enjoyed this lil glimpse to the past!

A bought a lil bracelet from a little girl today too at this event. It says on it Live, Love, Life. I had to buy it she was just too adorable. I will try to remember that saying. =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty dorky, i gotta say. but kind of cool, in that same dorky way.

still, i'll pass on the 18th century. i like these modern times.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Ohhhh I'll sooo pass on the 18th century!! I like TV, air conditioning, and SNEAKERS!!!! hehe. =)

S.Elisabeth said...

Aww this looks like so much fun! I love the olden days so much, and this would be such a fun experience!
And I wouldn't be able to resist a little girl either!

Simply Colette said...

Way fun! I could see you cooking with that hat on! ;) Sounds like your having a nice weekend... xoxo

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Oh how fun!! I would LOVE to go to something like this! It does look like something out of a movie and yes, that man does look eerily like Ben Franklin. Lol.
I think it would be so much fun to go back in time and see what the 18th century was like in real life. But yeah, would NOT want to live in that time period. Hehe!

Sierra said...

What a fun event to attend, I enjoyed learning about the history and seeing your enjoyable pics! Cute pic of you and your mom too. Oh, and love that saying. Yes, I must remember that saying as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails