Wednesday, September 23, 2009

She works hard for the money...So hard for it hunny...

Gotta love that song by Donna Summer. That girl knew her stuff. Image via unknown.


I've been mentioning for a while now about a Resume class that I attended at my library. It was majorly helpful. Alot of people I know when I mentioned "Oh, I'm going to a resume class, IT'S FREE, so why don't you come with me?" they answered "Meh, I got one." or "Nah, it's okay, I'll figure something out." Maybe I just have an addiction to free classes?? Well I think that's obvious lately. At least it's not a strain on my bank account. Ironically only 7 people in a town of 15,000 people & a county of God knows how many attended. I'm still utterly shocked. AND i was the youngest one there by oh at least 15 years. What the hell? Who knows why?

For starters, I do actually have a job. However, I'm petrified of leaving my job. I get anxiety just thinking about it. I want to get something in my career of math or engineering but with those fields it's mostly a project basis and/or they want someone with the years of experience. It sucks. I basically need a company to give me a break and hire a recent graduate and give her a chance and not fire me in 6 months time. I've had friends that this happened too. My job now has basically become a safety net but I can't keep doing data entry forever. So I had to have my raining frog day and leap off in another direction. Ergo, I worked on my resume. A resume is going to be my foot in the door. I hope.

The instructor was actually the owner of www.a-perfect-resume.com. His name is Greg Faherty. GO TO THAT SITE!!! He actually will review a done resume for free and tell you what you need to do to fix it. That's not bad at all. The main thing he kept stressing was this is your advertisement so Sell yourself to the company. If you can do it make sure you write that.


Here are a few pointers he taught us:

1.) Keep Resume in a Positive Tone.
2.) If you are mailing in your Resume, Do Not Fold it into a letter envelope. Place it in a manila folder and ship it in a large envelope to accommodate that size.
3.) Leave personality out of the Resume, make it Facts only. Professional Tone.(Don't say, I'll be the captain of the job).
4.) NEED a COVER LETTER!!! He said, "Odds are 50% won't read it, BUT you never know when it will be the other 50% that will get you in the door from the cover letter.
5.) Make it either 1 page or 2 pages. If you have to go to the 2nd page make sure it's at least half full. Don't do the 2-3 lines on the 2nd page n say you have a 2 page resume.
6.) Make sure you email address is a serious one. Perhaps a variation of your name.
7.) Companies want to know you can do the job so perhaps under the job description you did put 1 or 2 bullets of accomplishments. For example, "Produced 20% increase in sales."
8.) Recent Graduates put education on top under the summary of what type of job your looking for. It shows you mean business about your education.
9.) TOP HIRING MONTHS: September, October, February, March, & April. That's what the instructor said from his experience but he said keep sending out resumes as often as you can.
10.) Also list EVERY computer skill you have. Even Microsoft Office. It might seem basic but there are people who don't know it.
11.) Don't use any fancy graphics or fancy bullets on your Resume because it may not transfer good when a Human Resource rep opens the email!
12.) Dates of employment should actually go on the right. This way the eye automatically goes to what you did before the dates.


The economy sucks, nobody is hiring, but your resume can really help change things he said. I hope so. I never had a job where I actually truly needed a resume it's been only an application. This is all new to me. I feel like Tess McGee in the movie, "Working Girl". She needed the right person to listen to her & give her a chance. I need that too please.

If I want to reach my goals I need to start taking steps. It's soo hard though. It is quite easier said then done. I keep saying that but it truly is. Part of me is like OHH Let's do this, let's go out and get that job. The other part is well if I stay at my current job I'll have X amount in my bank account and I could fall back on that. But if I don't leave I'll get stuck...........Ugh. I feel like I'm in a friend rut, a Mess rut (I love him dearly but eventually Mr. Brown-eyed Big is gunna be my destruction), a job rut, and a home rut. I need to move forward. One lil step at a time...Maybe fixing my resume from Mr. Faherty's tips will make me feel better, and give me some motivation to leave my job, not just yet, but soon. I can't just put it on the To Do List and never look at it again. Baby steps. Maybe just a lil every day...and build from there.

Somebody somewhere in high school or college really should tell people that your 20's are like one big Bi-Polar Disorder. Your mind races, you get confused, you seem lost, your head some days just hurts like hell, and then that shiny disco ball grabs your attention and off you go to something else. Oh and you feel like a mess some days. Baby steps. It's gotta be the way. Small lil steps, like a tight rope. Just PLEASE don't let me fall. Image is painting by Jean-Louis Forain, The Tight Rope Walker.


I hope maybe those 10 things can perhaps help one of you. It helped me, now I gotta write it. One step at a time. "Just breathe" - Ever After

I have a head for business and a bod for sin. Is there anything wrong with that?" - Melanie Griffith, Working girl, 1988. <3

5 comments:

Jennifer Fabulous said...

You are awesome! Thank you so much for the resume tips. I already put your instructor's website in my favorites. Like you, I have a job, but I never know when I might not.
I think it's really cool and smart of you to have attended that class. You obviously learned some important yet simple tips that will keep you ahead of the game.
Good luck finding a job in your field. I know how frustrating it is to do...employers want experience but you can't get experience unless you get hired somewhere. It's a vicious circle. You are obviously quite smart though and know what you're doing, so I don't think you will have too much of a problem finding a new job. I'm crossing my fingers for you. :)

Pixel Wild Child said...

I can understand you perfectly! it is so frustrating for young people, it is rare to get a job matching your skills, you are normally much below that... Thanks for sharing those tips... and let's hope for a brighter professional future for us! ;O)

Ice Queen said...

Good luck. I'm in a similar situation. (I'm not fond of the school I'm working in). I get so nervous about switching.

I'm definitely going to check this site out.

frenchie said...

oh...i feel you girl!i'm stuck in a job Sales i positively hate.at least i'm in the field i like and keep applying for anything else that comes up but so far...no luck!
and i'm not a young grad anymore either...
maybe i should just look for a rich old gentleman...lol just kidding!!
finger crossed that you find something in that crazy field of yours!
sending you plenty of positive vibes.xxx

Simply Colette said...

I used to sing that song to myself too! thanks for the tips. ;) Glad you enjoyed the class. P.S. I was in a rush yesterday and had to run out before commenting on yesterday's blog, but I was so close to picking up some of that eye makeup remover at the mall, but also ran out of time. I'm holding your recommendation in high regard. I usually have the worst luck with that stuff. Thanks! Hope your week is going good. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails