Thursday, July 28, 2011

I Can't Put the Book Down....


I was inspired to cook with Julie & Julia, I lost myself & found myself in Eat Pray Love, and even enjoyed the circus in Water for Elephants  but now I'm in the South reading "The Help".   What a real book and a real story. I got lost sometimes in the others but this one...I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN! I almost bought the book a while back but declined and then suddenly on a Target line there it was miss placed and I had to buy it. That was only a week and  half ago and I'm already on page 350. =)

I have a cheesy habit of assigning book characters to movie actress or people from my daily life so it's easier to read. I picture them in my head as I read and I think it helps get me more involved in the story. For "The Help" it was the easiest thing ever because I think everyone they picked for the movie is DEAD ON right! I haven't been this excited for a movie in a while...I think since Inception. Can't wait for August 10th! 

Here's the trailer in case you missed it!


The story is about the African-American maids in the early 1960's deep into the segregation times of the U.S. South.  One lady named Skeeter (Emma Stone) decides she wants to write about these women working for white family and it's scandalous from day 1. I asked my Mom about all of this and she was too little to remember all of this but she remembers watching Martin Luther King Jr. speak at Washington. Reading this book you literally feel like you stepped foot in Mississippi in 1962. You get so into the ladies' stories that you are crying, cheering, laughing, and deeply touched by this novel. I have friends of all races, all religions, and all colors and I'm flabbergasted about how the world used to be. It's almost unbelievable. 


I'm a lil late to work so I gotta go. "The Help" is probably one of the best books I will ever read and I'm still not even close to down. I'm going to go enjoy the conclusion of the great story. It's the "To Kill a Mockingbird" of modern times...really it is.

Have you read "The Help"? What did you think?

Follow Melanies Randomness

10 comments:

Sheri, RN said...

That does sound like a very good book. :)

Ice Queen said...

That's how I felt about "The Hunger Games". I read all 3 books in 2 weeks. They were FANTASTIC! That movie comes out next year.

I have been looking for a new book and this one sounds pretty good. I might try it.

Elle said...

I haven't yet read The Help but have heard so much about it recently, especially with the movie release, that I'm now curious. Think it'll be a new addition to the to-be-read list! :)

Pretty Zesty said...

This one is on my list too!

PinkBow said...

i love it when a book just takes a hold of you! i've been trying to read more lately, murakami mostly...which has also taken me away from the internet... good & bad!

Melissa Blake said...

i want to read that book...thanks for reminding me about it!

J said...

i haven't read (or heard) of the help, but i just finished the last book of the hunger games and it is amazing beyond words...

Anonymous said...

I'll have to put it on my to read list.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

My bestie raves about that book!

Yelena Starikova said...

WOW!!! What a great review!! Now I want to read this book!

im your new follower!

AllGlamThings

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails