Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Power Of Knowing…October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.


People talk about communication among friends, partners, spouses, & of course within yourself. Knowing your body I think is the most important of them all. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month & it is ever so important that you go to your annual ob-gyn doctor & your scheduled mammograms or sonograms. Early detection saves lives. No ifs, ands, or buts. I don’t have cancer but I’ve had breast health issues in the past so I’m going to share with you my lil story.

I have fibroidic cystic disease. I can’t count my blessings enough that the lumps in my right breast wound up only being fibroids but I didn’t know that for years. I noticed I had a small lump in my right breast somewhere back in high school but I thought it might have been a muscle knot. I was a cheerleader & then did field events in Track. I was very active & had a D-cup set of breasts. Maybe it was a hernia? Maybe it would go away, I thought. It didn’t. Women’s bodies change as you all know. Our breasts change sizes, our weight goes up & down, our time of the month cycles sometimes get wonky, etc…The lump was now 2 lumps, & then 3. Of course I began to freak out for most of my days that I had cancer. They kept getting bigger & bigger but I was too afraid to go to the doctor. That “What if” kept me from telling anyone. One day when I was 22 I had to go to the doctor. The lumps were starting to feel weird & mis-shapen.

I never thought my first sonogram would be for my breast. We found a doctor who’s name ironically was “Faith”. Yup that was her name. She let me cry the first time I had my appointment to find out what they were. The term “Fibroid” was new to me.  The lumps were either fibroids or cysts. After a biopsy, which was painful not going to lie, they determined that they were not cancer but fibroids. The days leading up to the surgery were hard. I had never had an invasive surgery like this so naturally I was upset. I didn’t know if they had remove some of my breast or if they would be easy to remove. Luckily, I had a Faith the doctor and she helped me through it all. My mom & my aunt took me that day & I cried only a lil when it all hit me. But it went well, better than I could ever have imagined. The nurses were so kind to me & it worked.

Two years later the scar from the surgery looks only like a small stretch mark. About 6 months ago I discovered I had another fibroid in the same breast. After having my gall bladder removed last October this one was easier & luckily it was a fibroid as well. I have changed my diet to accommodate this fibroidic cystic disease & pray I won’t find another one. If I find something odd I go to the doctor, immediately.

 What is the point of me sharing this?  The point is that I did the SELF-BREAST EXAMS & I went to the DOCTOR. I couldn’t live in fear anymore & I somehow found the courage to find out what the lumps were. Finding a lump isn’t always cancer but discovering cancer in its early stages is the best way to find a cure or help you. In 2010, there are more than 2.5 MILLION breast cancer SURVIVORS in the U.S.. That’s amazing.
One day we will hopefully find a cure, until then there are cancer walks, saving the Yoplait lids, wearing the pins for breast cancer awareness, sharing your breast health stories & remember Early Detection Saves Lives. I can’t say that enough. For more information check out all the breast cancer sites. Don’t be afraid to look or ask questions. Best wishes everyone. <3.

20 comments:

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yup, I always send in my Yoplait lids.

I sincerely hope a cure is found.

Annemarie said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I admire your courage and strength love- this post is so necessary for this month! Kisses sweet girl xoxo

Shannon said...

Thank you for posting this. It's so very important to go to the doctor whenever you feel an abnormality in your breasts.

And on a side note - D cups? You go, girl. ;)

Audrey Allure said...

Great, motivating post!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Thank you so much for posting this. And what a harrowing tale of getting those fibroids. I would have for sure freaked out beyond measure if it were me. So glad it turned out okay and that you had an awesome doctor and a great support system.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Thank you thank you thank you for sharing this with us! It's brave and stories like these help to get everyone aware. Thank you!

avant garde design said...

so good to promote being aware and getting to the doctors regularly. i know women who never go and i worry for them. yikes! oh, and thanks for saying my son is cute. he, in person, has the most amazing green/gold eyes. he gets comments on his eyes alot. i'm a proud mom as you can tell ;)

Nadine2point0 said...

One of my closest girlfriends went though something crazily similar to this - thanks for posting. I'll share this with her.
Great blog here.

Jennifer Fabulous said...

Every time I hear about a woman being struck with this disease, or even think about it, it breaks my heart. This is one of the main diseases I hope they find a cure for during my lifetime. I don't know anyone personally who has had breast cancer, but like everyone else on the planet, it affects me through acquaintances or distant relatives. We're all affected.

I'm sorry you had to deal with such trauma regarding the fibroids, but I truly hope your message gets across to all your readers. We need to check ourselves!

Cafe Fashionista said...

Your story is so inspirational, Melanie; I LOVE this post!! :)

Arianna Belle said...

Thank you for sharing this -it definitely brings awareness. Cancer and anything that resembles is it scary stuff and thats why many of us don't do the breast exams and go to the doctor when we should-because of fear. You mentioned you changed your diet to fibroidic cystic disease -what are you eating or not eating?

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you,sweetie for sharing this story with us...Its so very important that all of us check ourselves often...Ohh I am so glad that you are doing well:)
Hugs and kisses

Ps: Hope you had a chance to enter my GIVEAWAY!

drollgirl said...

super post on tough stuff.

my mom is a breast cancer survivor. she had it at age 42, and now she is 60 something and doing fine.

i fear breast cancer. i don't do self-exams, and i think it is because i am afraid. and that is stupid. i have to have mammograms WAY TOO OFTEN, but i know doctors are just trying to be careful with me.

my oldest sister is being treated for ovarian cancer. i am terrified that i will get that, too. it is hard. very hard to deal with. but being afraid all the time isn't healthy, so i am trying to deal with it the best way i know how.

i have a doctor appointment tomorrow and i am dreading it like you can't imagine. but at a certain point you have to face up to these things and deal. eee.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Thank you for this. I lost my auntie to breast cancer. We all need to be more aware!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your story <3

Melissa Blake said...

thanks for being so inspiring and honest, melanie!

Unknown said...

What an important message to get across...so glad that you are OK!

Blogs said...

I'm right there with you! I have had a lump in my right breast since I was eleven....had it removed and it's still there so I live with an ugly scar on my boob and lumps! This subject touches me too:) glad u posted! lots of love doll!

Jillian said...

Thank you for sharing your story. You are inspirational for sure, and very very brave.

a little black cloud in a dress said...

thank you for posting this, hopefully it brings awareness to someone out there. I had no idea you went thru something like this! I'm glad you made it out ok.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails